Ok guys.. this might just be the perfect addition to your morning coffee. I’m sorry if that comes across a bit cocky.. but that was the first thought that came to mind when I first tasted it. 🙂
Just look at that chocolate….
This spin-off on the traditional coffee cake is quite simple to make. There’s no over thinking anything! As always, just make sure you know you’re oven temperature and everything will be a piece of cake 😉 (get it?!)
It is the perfect amount of crumbly to chocolatey. I do love a good coffee cake, but I was feeling the chocolate twist this weekend and I hope you’ll agree as well!
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 stick cold butter, cut into chunks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Prepare your 9×4 in bread pan with a non stick spray or butter.
2. Mix together the butter and sugar until well blended. Then add the eggs one at a time and then vanilla extract. In a separate bowl sift your flour, baking soda and baking powder together. Add the dry to the wet ingredients and mix slowly. When all the dry ingredients are in the bowl add the milk, this will help you mix easier. It is a thick batter!
3. Pour the batter into the bread pan. In another bowl prepare the crumb topping. Mix the flour and sugar together. Cut into small squares the stick of butter and using a fork cut the butter until the batter has formed small balls, about the size of small pearls. Aka very crumbly! Lastly add the vanilla extract in. Knead with your fingers a bit until incorporated. Cover the top of the batter evenly with the now formed crumb topping.
4. Bake for 1 hour, until a toothpick comes out clean. When the bread comes out of the oven cover the top with the chocolate chunks and then let cool. I sprinkled a little bit of powdered sugar on top as well. Enjoy!