Ok…. these blueberry crumb bars are seriously to die for. Even my dad was in awe after he had a bite! They’re so good that I had to make them twice this week. One time at home in Pennsylvania and the second to bring in to the office for the 4th of July!
Just check out those blueberries….can you say YUM?! They’re the perfect addition to any 4th of July party!
The best part about these bars is that it is an extremely simple recipe! It’s perfect to make when blueberries are ripe and in season and yes, on sale! You probably already have most of the other ingredients in your kitchen if you bake a lot 🙂
It takes about 15 minutes to whip up the crust for this and then 45 minutes in the oven and then be prepared to have all of your friends love you. Yes, love you. If they don’t it’s probably because they’re allergic to blueberries. It’s that simple.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- sprinkling of brown sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, and baking powder. Mix in salt and lemon zest. Use a fork to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly- this is good! Pat down half of the dough into the prepared pan to create a crust.
3. In another bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blueberries. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer. I sprinkled some brown sugar on top just for a little extra surprise. 🙂
4. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Let cool before cutting. Enjoy!