So I was seriously craving some chocolate-y goodness on Sunday night, preferably in the form of a cake. Alas, living by myself (I have a roommate, but we never see each other) means I don’t make too many cakes unless I am immediately bringing it somewhere. So what does that mean for this post… you guessed it.. cupcakes!
Cupcakes are amazing, I think we can all agree on that. I had also spent part of Sunday watching Cupcake Wars, which was strangely addicting. After watching a few too many episodes in a row, I hopped off the couch and ran into the kitchen to concoct these delicious babies.
For the frosting I really wanted something decadent. These cupcakes, while scrumptious and delicious on their own, needed a match made in heaven in the frosting department. It is common knowledge that peanut butter and chocolate go together like two peas in a pod (or Mexican food and margaritas) but I just hadddd to add some Nutella as well, for that extra kick!
- 1 and 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain, non fat Greek yogurt (you don’t have to use non-fat)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (I’m a Skippy’s girl)
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- dash of salt
1. Preheat your oven to 350 and line a cupcake tin with liners, or spray with a non-stick spray.
2. In a large bowl cream together the sugar and butter. Add the eggs one at a time until incorporated. Add the vanilla and yogurt and blend well.
3. Add the cocoa powder and mix slowly, otherwise you’ll have cocoa powder poofing up in your face! (yes, poofing). Add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix until creamy.
4. Fill cups about half way to three quarters full with batter and bake for 20 minutes. Mine were done right at 20, but keep in mind your oven temperature! Let cool.
5. While the cupcakes are cooling (or your next batch is in) start preparing your frosting. Now, I still don’t have a Kitchen Aid Mixer (sad but true) so I did this by hand. But if you want that super fluffy frosting you can use a mixer!! In a microwaveable bowl melt the butter, peanut butter and Nutella so that they are easier to blend (about 45 seconds). Stir together until incorporated. Add the confectioner’s sugar 1/2 cup at a time so you can judge how much you need. Add the heavy cream last. If using a mixer you will need about 5 minutes of blend time, by hand it’s until you get the consistency you’re looking for.
6. When your cupcakes are completely cooled they’re ready to frost! I added some rainbow sprinkles solely for the fact that I LOVE sprinkles! Enjoy!
Good to the last bite 😉