Yep, you read that correctly. Donut Muffins.
Why you ask? How you ask? Well… really I wanted to make donut holes. However, I don’t have a mini cupcake tin! So I was forced to get creative. This recipe is really a donut… it’s just disguising itself as a muffin! How clever 😉
I’m sorry for my hiatus, but I was home because my little brother graduated from high school! Look at him in his cap and gown 🙂
But back to the deliciousness in front of you… of course I had to add chocolate to this recipe because I am a chocoholic. Oopsies!
And rainbow sprinkles….. who doesn’t love rainbow sprinkles?! They’re just so fun and colorful. This recipe is very simple to follow as well, no special tricks or gimmicks. There’s also no deep frying! Yay for a healthy loophole! While I tend to not crave donuts all too often, when I do it’s nice to know there is a slightly healthy alternative to all that deep frying business. I’m not knocking the deep fryer (if you haven’t had a deep friend oreo… well…you should probably go find one right now)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick (8 tbsp) butter (unsalted)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 and 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup almond milk
For the glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- rainbow sprinkles
1. Preheat your oven to 350. Spray your muffin tins well with a non stick spray and set aside.
2. Mix together the butter, sugar and egg until completely smooth. Make sure you smooth out those chunks of sugar! Add the vanilla and mix until combined.
3. Slowly add the flour, baking soda and salt to the wet mixture. About halfway through adding the dry mixture add 1/2 cup of the almond milk. Continue to add the rest of the flour and stir. Lastly add the other 1/2 cup of almond milk until the milk is completely mixed in.
4. Using a large spoon, fill each tin about halfway with the batter. Cook for 13-15 minutes *Mine were done in exactly 13* and remove from oven. Let cool for at least 10 minutes!
5. Mix together the confectioners sugar and milk while you wait for the muffins to cool. When ready, dip the top of each muffin into the glaze and then dip into the sprinkles. Continue with all the muffins. Enjoy!