Puppy chow alias Trash alias Muddy Buddy alias GOODNESS.
Puppy chow is a great recipe to have in your arsenal because it’s easy to make and is ready in a very short amount of time and it doesn’t involve the oven! It’s also fun to play around with because there are many different types of puppy chow to make and eat! Even though I am not a huge fan of white chocolate, I used it in this recipe because I was aiming for more of a cake taste, but feel free to experiment with milk chocolate and more peanut butter!
This puppy chow tastes exactly like peanut butter cake. Yup, I said it… peanut butter cake. The rainbow sprinkles were just added as a colorful bonus and because well, why not?! Rainbow sprinkles all day everyday!
Puppy Chow is fast and simple, so it’s a great starter recipe if you’re a beginner. I recommend buying Rice Chex cereal as well, crispex doesn’t seem to hold as firm in my experience. In a saucepan over medium heat you’re going to melt the butter and white chocolate together until everything is melted. Add the peanut butter and heavy cream last and cook until smooth. Add vanilla and stir, then remove from heat and let cool.
In a large bowl place the 5 cups of cereal and when the mixture has cooled some, pour over the cereal evenly and stir- be careful to not break the cereal at this point! Let it sit for a minute, and then add the sprinkles. Next you will transfer the contents of the bowl to a big plastic bag. Pour the powdered sugar into the the bag, close tightly and shake until the cereal is evenly coated. Voila! You just made puppy chow!
- 1/2 stick salted butter
- 10 oz (1 box) white chocolate ( I love Baker’s Chocolate)
- 1 tbsp peanut butter ( Skippy’s is my go to!)
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 cups Rice Chex Cereal
- 2/3 cup sprinkles of your choosing
- 2 cups powdered sugar
1. Over medium heat melt the chocolate and butter, stirring until smooth. Add the peanut butter and heavy cream and stir until smooth again. Lastly, add the vanilla and then remove from heat.
2. In a large bowl place the cereal. After letting the chocolate and butter mixture cool for a few minutes (you just don’t want it to be boiling hot, but don’t let it harden) pour over the cereal. Using a spatula and being careful to not break the cereal mix together. After a few minutes, add the sprinkles. We wait a few minutes so that the sprinkles don’t melt and lose their color.
3. Pour the cereal mixture into a large plastic bag and add the powdered sugar on top. Shake the bag around until it is evenly coated and… Enjoy!