This recipe contains two of my favorite things: bananas and butterfingers. This might sound crazy but this recipe came to me in a dream… this has happened before- that’s how my Strawberry Chocolate Chip Cookies were formed! Crazy or not, this recipe is awesome.
The cupcakes are super easy and only use a few ingredients and the ripe bananas really make them moist.
The frosting, as I’m sure you can guess, isn’t exactly up there on your healthiest recipes but hey… it’s frosting right?! Plus the added bonus of butterfingers to the mix….heaven.
- 1.5 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1.5 cups (I used 4 medium sized) very ripe bananas
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick) room temperature
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 10 mini butterfingers
1.Preheat the oven to 350. Prepare your cupcake trays with liners or spray them with pam.
2. To make the cupcakes: Mix together all the ingredients minus the bananas until smooth– this will be a sticky batter, just keep mixing! Add the mashed bananas until completely mixed, this is the extra moisture the batter really needed!
3. Pour evenly into cupcake liners, my recipe yielded 15 cupcakes. Bake for 25 minutes until they are a light golden brown on top (be careful- if you know your oven cooks at a higher temperature or very quickly, check the cupcakes at 20 minutes). Remove from oven and let cool.
4. To make the frosting: Using your room temperature butter, mix until completely smooth. Add the cream, vanilla and powdered sugar to the mix and blend until everything comes together– this is a thick frosting! (if yours is too thick add a bit more cream, or more powdered sugar if it is too thin) In a separate bowl crush 10 mini butterfingers until they are crumbs. Add the crumbs to the frosting and stir into the frosting. Add to the cooled cupcakes… Enjoy!