I love Christmas. And since my parents have committed the ultimate sin and bought a fake tree without consulting the kids this year, baking is really all I have left. I still love buying presents for people, but since I can’t read next to a beautiful, huge, decorated pine tree like I normally do in my spare time at this time of year (don’t judge me, you know what I’m talking about) I am left to my baking devices.
So first up for this holiday season are chocolate sugar cookies! I don’t particularly love the whole gingerbread man cookie, but I do love the cookie cutters. Who doesn’t love decorating a cookie to look like a snowman!? Just a heads up though, these cookies expand a lot, so most of mine kind of looked a little…obese. But hey, I’m not going to complain about a bigger cookie!
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- additional sugar for sprinkling
1. In microwave melt butter and chocolate for 1:30. Take out and stir until chocolate is completely melted into butter. Stirring after each, add sugar, egg and vanilla.
2. Add flour, baking soda and salt and mix until blended. Store in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
3. Using a rolling pin, roll dough out to about a 1/4 in thickness and using cookie cutters make whatever shapes you want! I made christmas trees, stars, gingerbread men, stockings, candles and snowmen. 🙂 Oh yea, and one huge regular cookie.
4. Preheat oven to 375. Bake for 11 minutes and immediately remove from tray to cool. Don’t decorate for at least 10 minutes! Enjoy!