Mmmmm blackberries. If there’s one thing I love about summer it’s fresh fruit. And I love pie, which is surprising because I never make them. I really need to make a banana creme pie next, it’s my favorite.
But back to the pie at hand….blackberries! Now I cheated, because I had cousins coming over to hang out with our other cousin who I kidnapped for the day and I needed another dessert. I already had a graham cracker crust made so that’s where the cheating came in. Oops, so sue me. But if you want to make a graham cracker crust it is super easy…But my family are haters. They’re not fans of blackberries. So you know what I say to them? Boo Hoo. I like them, so here it is…
1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs, crushed (about 8 big pieces)
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
4 1/2 cups fresh blackberries (about 2 pints)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (more, if needed)
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. For the crust, preheat the oven to 350. Crush up the graham crackers ( I always do it in a ziplock bag) and add them to the bowl. Mix together with brown sugar, flour and salt. Add the melted butter and mix until everything sticks well. If they don’t, add a bit of water until they are more combined.
2. Press into a 9-inch pie plate and put the crust into the freezer for 10 min.
3. In a medium bowl put in 3 cups of blackberries with granulated sugar and cornstarch. Mash with a fork to release some of the juices.
4. Take the pie crust out of the freezer and bake for 15-18 minutes. Let cool.
5. Put the blackberry mixture into a saucepan. Stir over medium heat for 8 or so minutes. Keep your eye on it! It does nothing for about 3 min, and then WHAM it’s a sticky mess. Be careful to get it off the bottom, keep it moving.
6. Remove from heat and add in vanilla extract.
7. Spoon mixture into pie crust and add the remaining blackberries. I did mine in a pattern because I’m slightly O.C.D. Just kidding, but really.
Serve with ice cream or whipped cream!