Nutella may or may not be the greatest thing ever. Heavy on the may. I have to admit I had never had a bite of the stuff until the fall of 2010, when I studied abroad in Italy. Did you know that Italians aren’t big on breakfast? For a girl who loved breakfast but also loves to indulge in the Italian life style, this was a huge dilemma. My host parents were an older couple, very kind, very amazing cooks. Breakfast however, is not really acknowledged. I was welcomed to help myself to fresh fruit (always delicious) and what I called fake toast. It was packaged toast. Packaged…like crackers. It was bizarre. And on the table, a huge container of nutella. So naturally, I tried the nutella after staring perplexedly at the fake toast and of course, you guessed it, fell in love. So every morning I would spread nutella on the fake toast and top it with a banana and drink the best coffee ever (they got something right at breakfast at least). The banana part is important because if you want to pair nutella with any fruit, it has to be banana.
So I give you…nutella banana bread. Two of the best things ever, combined. For all of you who are allergic to nuts (Kevin & Jess) I am very sorry to be taunting you like this. On your deathbeds I will feed you nutella so you can die happy.
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 big bananas)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3/4 heaping cup Nutella. I say heaping as encouragement to put in a lot. DO IT.
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
3. Mix butter and sugar until blended. Add eggs and mix. Add bananas & milk and mix well.
4. In a bowl heat up nutella until softened. Add about half the banana mixture to the nutella until well blended. In the bread pan you have prepared spoon the mixtures alternatively and swirl mixtures with a knife.
5. Bake for 50-60 min. Middle might be a bit under done, but come on, that’s the best part! (Cook for a few more minutes, but be careful not to make the edges too crisp)
Thanks to my cousin Colleen for finding this recipe idea online! And Happy 20th Birthday to Princess Anastasia, I hope you enjoy your birthday present of Nutella Banana Bread 😉