Now this recipe is courtesy of my mom. No, she didn’t make them. She saw them online and demanded I make them. Seeing as I spent four months living in Italy, I had no problem agreeing to make this traditional Italian dessert. (Take me back to Florence please) So as soon as I got back from my vacation I got down to business.
How cute are these guys?! They’re also super easy to make and really require minimal effort. And are yummy. Careful though, you’ll probably eat about six in a sitting. It’s okay, I did it too. No regrets.
- 1 container (15 oz) whole-milk ricotta cheese– I firmly believe in not cheating. It’s a cannoli- do you really need to save the few calories by getting the skim or fat free ricotta cheese? I think naht. They’re babies. Teensy.
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla ( or if you’re like me and usually spill half the vanilla from the bottle, a full tsp works just as well)
- 1 box Pillsbury® refrigerated pie crusts
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 425. In large bowl mix together all the filling ingredients. Put filling into a gallon size plastic bag and seal it. Place in fridge.
- 2. Roll out pie crusts on lightly floured surface. Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar mixture on and lightly press down so that it stays. Cut out 2.5-3 in circles. I don’t own a cookie cutter that size so I just measured the bottom of measuring cups and used the outline as a guide.
- 3. Place each circle in a mini cupcake tin and press down lightly so the pastry forms a cup.
- 4. Bake 9 min — be sure to check if your oven is a bit temperamental. Mine were very ready at 9 min. Flip out and let cool.
- 5. It is advised and well, traditional to only put the filling in the cannoli when it is about ready to be eaten. Add your chocolate chips and powdered sugar on top and voila! You have your mini cannoli.
- (I made about 8 tonight and am storing the rest of the cannoli cups in a container and keeping the filling in the fridge to enjoy fresh cannoli’s tomorrow)
- I assure you, they do not last long.